UK dependant visa requirements

If you’re a British citizen, EU national or you’re living and working in the UK, you can apply for a UK dependant visa for your child.

UK dependant visas

Requirements for a UK dependant visa

You can apply for a UK tier 2 dependent visa for your child as long as you’re living in the UK, but the requirements change depending on if you are:

If you’re applying as a single parent, you’ll need to show that you’re the only one responsible for your child’s care (not just legal custody). This makes the application more complicated and you may want seek advice on your dependent visa application. 

Settled status or citizen

Having settled status in the UK means you have the right to permanently live in the UK as one of the following:

You’re also considered settled if you have “right of abode” in the UK.

Non-EU nationals

If you’re a non-EU national and want to apply for a dependant visa for your child, you’ll need to meet the following requirements:

EU nationals

If one or both parents is an EU national, your child can come to the UK on an EEA family permit. They will need to be under 18 and born outside the UK, and you’ll need to show you are exercising your EU treaty rights to qualify.

Tier 2 visa holders

A Tier 2 dependant visa can also be granted to children coming to live with you when you’re working in the UK on a Tier 2 work visa. Your children are included as dependants as part of your visa application.