Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme (UK working holiday visa)​

Also known as the UK working holiday visa, the Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) allows you to live and work in the UK for up to two years. If you want to spend time travelling across Europe, a working holiday in the UK is the perfect way to do it.

Apply for a Tier 5 visa to live and work in the UK

The tier 5, UK working holiday visa is issued for two years, during which time you may study and/or be employed in the UK. On this visa you may not use public funds or work as a professional sportsperson, doctor or dentist.

To apply for the Tier 5 visa, you must fulfil the below requirements:

A UK working holiday visa does not allow you to bring family members with you (partner or children).

How much is a working holiday visa?

Applying for a Tier 5 visa costs £244. Above this, as part of your application you must pay the immigration healthcare surcharge which is around £300 per year.  In total it will be £600 for the two years you stay on the Youth Mobility Scheme.

Staying in the UK when your Tier 5 visa ends

The Tier 5 visa is valid for two years and you cannot apply for an extension. If you want to remain in the UK you will need to switch over to another visa.

These are three common ways to stay in the UK without having to return to your home country:

You are eligible to be added as a dependant on the visa of someone you are married to or in a relationship with. This individual must be an Ancestry visa holder.  

For people who are married to (or in a relationship with) an EU national, you can apply for the EEA family permit using the EEA (PR) form.

​If you are married to (or in a relationship with) someone who is British or has settled status in the UK, you may apply for a UK partner visa. This visa covers three different statuses: Married partners, unmarried partners and fiancés/fiancées.

Settled status is held by:

Switching to a Tier 2 work visa

If while on your Tier 5 visa in the UK, you receive a job offer or sponsorship you can apply for a work permit.